Sunday, June 9, 2013

Grapefruit Bath Scrubber

As anyone who knows me will tell you, I love DIY and saving the planet.  I feel pretty awesome every time I dump something into the appropriate recycling bin or reuse a yogurt container in a crafty way.  The logo on my super hero cape would be a couple of A's encircled by a very green planet.


My partner and I have a couple kids (by kids I mean a crazy wild boarder collie and a very cranky queen tortoise shell kitty).  I get concerned that maybe the commercial cleaner I used 6 months ago on a spot in the carpet might somehow still be lingering, residue on their paws going directly into their mouthes when they groom.  No need to call me parinoid, I already know I am.

I also get wigged out by the idea of Comet Cleaner.  The sandy green cleaner that's been in everyone's bathrooms since the 50's.  I can't help but think of the nooks in my tub still containing it's grit while I bathe.  So when I found this neat little number, I had to try it.  To my surprise, with a little elbow grease this worked amazingly.  I'll never go back to another cleaner again, green or otherwise.

What you need:

A large grapefruit of your choice
Salt
Elbow Grease

I started with a dry tub.  EW!  look at all the nastiness in there.


 












With the grapefruit cut in half pour salt on its inside



Now SCRUB YOUR BUTT OFF!  

 Mid scrub

I really went to town, scrubbing until the pour piece of fruit was nothing but a shell, adding salt as needed.  I found that the more salt I used the better.  Something about the grit I think helps to friction away the grim.  I ended up using both halves and it cleaned the whole tub.


Squeaky clean!

No bath time paranoia now.   If you give it a try let me know how it went for you and what, if anything, you did differently.  Happy scrubbing.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome suggestion. I wish I had read this before I spent the weekend spraying toxic chemicals on my shower :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turn that frown upside down! There's always next time :)

    ReplyDelete